Spring Conferences, a cornerstone of our working partnership, are scheduled for Monday, March 26. (There is no school for students that day. EDP will be open.) Meeting with each child’s teacher(s) or advisor accomplishes several important pedagogical goals.
Conferences bring parents fully into the ongoing teacher/student dialogue. Only with parents as full partners can we support our students in doing their best work. Conferences also add a dimension to parents’ understanding of their children by describing the students as learners. It is our hope that parents leave their conference well equipped to support their student and the learning process in the home. Every student has challenges at school, but it is also important to celebrate successes. Both challenges and successes will be part of the conference conversation.
- P3: All parents are invited to meet with the teachers for a mid-year progress report and goal setting for the remainder of the year. Teachers will also talk about summer programs at Villa and next year’s preschool programs.
- P4 and P5: Mid-year conferences for P4 and P5 were held earlier in February, so no conferences for those classes will be held on this date. School is not in session March 26.
These optional conferences for Grades K-5 are an opportunity to talk about progress to date, both academic and social; to discuss third trimester and perhaps summer goals; and to consider the transition to a new grade. A limited number of time slots are available on Wednesday afternoon from 2:30-4:30pm.
- Kindergarten-Grade 2: Teachers are available to meet with all families. As was the case this past fall, these conferences are for teachers and parents. This is a great opportunity to check in as third trimester begins.
- Third-Fifth Grades: Teachers are available to meet with all students and families. Students participate with their parents and homeroom teacher. This is a perfect opportunity to review goals and progress from second trimester, and set a plan for the final trimester. It can also be a time to discuss options for summer work and/or enrichment.
Conferences are mandatory for all students in Grades 6 & 7 and optional for Grade 8, based on student needs and family/teacher requests.
- Middle School conferences will include only the student’s advisor, the student and parents. Each advisor and student will be prepared to share growth this year and engage in dialogue about goals for the rest of the year, as well as summer.
Specialists Patty Hamilton, Pam Sprute, Lindsay Mahaffey, Elizabeth O’Neil and Harold Grytting can be available to join specific conferences, or families can meet with them individually during this conference day.
All other specialist teachers are also middle school advisors and will not be available on Monday, March 26. Please feel free to contact these teachers separately for a time to meet on another day, if desired.